A brief detail on my coding journey

Hello everyone, and welcome to another article of Comic Chronicles!
If you read my "About me" page, you would know that coding is one of my main interests. I have started learning coding from a really young age, and it was a field which came of much interest to me since the very beginning. In this article, I'll be sharing with you in brief my experience with coding.

I first started my experience with coding at First grade. I was introduced at that time to my first ever programming language, Scratch, during my coding classes. It was a basic and visual language, where we drag and drop blocks below one another to create a program. That was when I started getting obsessed with programming. In fact, I got so obsessed, that while we learnt how to move characters in Scratch during fourth grade, I had already made a video game, which kind of represented the classic Snake!

It was labelled "DOTT (with the intentional misspell)", which I had made when I was very young. It had quite a lot of bugs and a few glitches, I proudly consider it a
s the first ever actual program I ever made in my life. I had since then used scratch in almost everything else, until I learnt about Python in fourth grade. I even have its link right here!

Python was a programming language which was different from Scratch, as Python involved typing commands on an editor, and then running the code, rather than dragging and dropping blocks. It seemed difficult at first, but when I tried it, I realized that it was not as difficult. In fact, it was not as different from scratch, except that in python, you can only print text on a terminal with the sheer basics, and you need to go much more advanced for it. (Spoiler Alert: I would reach that advanced level.) Also, I discovered and learnt the basics of python all by myself. Interestingly, we would only learn the basics of Python at school by the end of Seventh grade! This was when I had been truly introduced to the world of programming.

However, I had also been really busy with other academics in school and other extracurricular activities, and this has led me to lose touch with coding, for almost 2 years! At the same time, all the ICT classes only talked about computer hardware and simple apps such as Microsoft Word or PowerPoint, or Excel.

Fast-forward to seventh grade. In ICT classes, we finally start learning an actual programming language, which was... SQL. It was a programming language which was like Excel, wherein you can store and manage data, but this time, you get to permanently save a database, which is like an excel spreadsheet, but instead of being a file, it is really a collection of data stored in an online memory location, which you can refer to from any computer. This once again sparked up my interest towards coding. Towards the end of the grade, we finally start learning the basics of Python. This was the time I got reminded of my interest with coding, which resumed my interest.

Now, I keep learning different aspects of coding, and also sometimes making small projects along the way. At the same time, I learnt other programming languages other than Python, including Java. 

What can we learn from this (probably mundane) story?

1) The things that best attach to us are the things from our childhood. The only reason I've still been into coding is because of my access to it from first grade, when the coding experience really attached to me.

2) Consistency plays a major part in success. It was due to m lack of consistency with coding that I'd totally lost touch with it. 

3) You wouldn't know how an experience would be without actually trying it out. People actually deemed coding to be hard and mentally painful. However, I ignored all these comments and went on, which was a decision I'd never regret.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed this article.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dunning-Kruger Effect: The learning Curve

Managing Emotions is more important than you think!

Breaking the Social Norms for the Aged